Good jobs. Clean Air. Justice for Neighbors.
The WWRC is a part of San Bernardino Airport Communities, a coalition that supports healthy economic development in our region.
Warehouse Construction, Housing Destruction
The Inland Valley Development Agency is spearheading a massive, multi-year project with the cities of Highland and San Bernardino to rezone almost 700 acres, destroying the homes of 2,600 people, to make way for 9 million additional square feet of warehousing and other industrial uses.
The proposal is known as the Airport Gateway Specific Plan (AGSP) and is part of an ongoing process to turn the San Bernardino International Airport area into a logistics hub.
The destruction of affordable housing in an area where housing prices have risen incredibly since 2000 and the Inland Empire is one of the fastest growing areas in California. Additionally, San Bernardino and Highland are out of compliance with state housing affordability laws.
The project thus far has been imposed on the community without any real input. In fact, the January 2023 meeting was poorly organized with inadequate translation – basically designed to exclude the perspective of residents.
San Bernardino Airport Communities
The San Bernardino Airport Communities is a coalition composed of community organizations and members of the community including both residents and workers. Our goal is to support healthy economic development in our region to bring our city: good jobs, clean air and justice for neighbors.
We are dedicated to ensuring the community has a voice and our concerns are addressed. Our coalition is incredibly concerned about the Airport Gateway Specific Plan and we believe that adjustments to the plan are needed before moving forward with approval.
We are composed of community groups rooted in San Bernardino including:
- People’s Collective for Environmental Justice
- Warehouse Worker Resource Center
- Teamsters Local 1932
- Sierra Club
- Just San Bernardino
- Inland Congregations United for Change
Airport Gateway Specific Plan Details
The Inland Valley Development Agency (IVDA) is proposing the Airport Gateway Specific Plan, a redevelopment project north of the San Bernardino International Airport that would rezone over 9 million square feet to mixed-use industrial uses in the cities of Highland and San Bernardino over the course of the next twenty years. The proposal includes:
- The redevelopment of parcels in both the City of Highland (about 485 acres) and the City of San Bernardino (about 193 acres)
- 9.2 million square feet of new development including 7.7 million square feet in warehouses and 1.5 million square feet for tech business park and commercial zoning
- Thousands more diesel trucks into the area
- The displacement of as many as 2,616 residents
This project is currently in the CEQA draft Environmental Impact Review phase and will close comments on March 14, 2023.
Community Members Say: Good Jobs, Clean Air, Justice for Neighbors
Our solutions aim to raise the standard of development so that residents, workers, cities and government agencies all mutually benefit from any redevelopment at the San Bernardino Airport.
We advocate for clean air, good jobs and a safe place to live. The AGSP is an opportunity to implement holistic planning for industrial development if we center the residents, workers, and businesses most impacted.
We want to ensure:
- Our communities are authentically engaged in the redevelopment process
- That the highest environmental standards are met
- That neighbors make the final decisions about their housing and that those that are displaced receive fair compensation
- All jobs created are good, high quality, safe jobs
- That a strong community benefits agreement is implemented to ensure developers do not reap profits at the expense of the community
Read the community’s full list of demands here.